Thursday, June 11, 2009

Kristen (KP) Writes: My First Time in the Store









I was very much a newbie to knitting when I first heard of the store. My art teacher told me of a wonderful yarn shop just up the street. I was nervous to seek it out at first, already recognizing that I had a fiber addiction which was difficult to quell at such institutions as Michaels. How much more difficult would a store dedicated to beautiful fiber test my self-control? I also had another fear. Leslie had said there were often multiple women in there knitting all the time. Though I had managed to successfully complete some socks and a couple scarves, I was still very new. I worried that I would look like an ignorant inexperienced child next to these testaments of knitting brilliance. Still, my curiosity was too strong. I drove over, parked my car, and walked to the door. The place looked like a mixture between a house and a hobbit hovel. Upon stepping inside, I was overcome with awe. I was in a cave of wonders that far outweighed Aladdin's. For he could only touch a lamp, I could touch everything in my sight. Oh what sights! Small though the store was it housed more yarn and knitting accessories then I could even think to handle. There were indeed a group of women knitting in the back, but after a brief exchange of greetings I was lost in fiber. I had not intended on buying (this was back before I accepted that I would never be able to walk into a yarn store and not buy something) but I was drawn to a hank of sock yarn that sang in vibrant yellow, magenta, and deep orange. I left the store cuddling my hank, and a sense that no matter how far I roamed or how many LYSs I visited, none would equal the surprise and awe of walking into the Yarn Garden in Meriden for the first time.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful opening post for this lovely blog! Kudos KP for so poetically framing this magical yarn shoppe! I love the hobbit hovel metaphor! You wax poetic KP...I can hardly wait to return to this hovel and get my hands on some of that gorgeous yarn! xoxoxox chickieknit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos, what a gorgeous store. Shame I'm over here in Australia, oh well!

    ReplyDelete