Friday, September 4, 2009

Obsessed with booties


 I am not a baby person. No, seriously, babies disturb me and I don't find them terribly cute or that endearing. However, I must say that I am glad of their existence if only because of the need for booties. I have an unhealthy obsession with baby booties. I just adore them with all my heart. They are so little and lovely and perfect for those one skeins of great colors and and and.... the list is endless! Now, for a while not many people around me were having babies, and considering I am a selfish knitter, even if they were I am very picky about who I knit for. But, then came a young woman in my old church. When she found out she was pregnant, she and her boyfriend (now husband) went through a great deal of trouble and unsupportive people. I personally think that she is a fantastic woman who, even though she might not have made the wisest choice, she did everything in her power to step up and face all the consequences with grace and dignity. So, I decided that I wanted to gift her child with something special because I believe that the parents behaved so well in the face of adversity. Plus, as a knittingdaily member I had this awesome free ebook with a fantastic pattern for booties that look like barnyard animals. The duckies are just too damn cute!!!!! With this in mind I trekked off to the Yarn Garden, and with the help of the lovely and fabulous Sharon I found a perfect yellow and deep lime green combination. I have only made one as you can see above, but better pictures will follow as soon as the other is complete. I have loved every step of making these disgustingly adorable things. This one's name is Herman and Gertrude is on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment